NEBOSH Health, Safety and Environmental Courses
National Examination Board in Occupational Safety and Health (NEBOSH) is a leader in health, safety and environmental management qualifications. Their courses support the role of a modern day risk management professional and help organisations meet their legal obligations. Over 168,000 NEBOSH exams are taken every year, in over 132 countries.
Our NEBOSH courses are created in-house by our team of learning designers to equip learners with the skills needed to deal with a variety of health and safety issues.
Why Take a NEBOSH Qualification
90% of UK health and safety job advertisements specify one or more NEBOSH qualifications, demonstrating that the qualification could lead to career progression and job security.
NEBOSH qualifications are designed to improve knowledge and understanding of key elements of health and safety, such as hazards, risk assessment and legal compliance. This understanding will help you to manage risks in all types of workplaces, either in health and safety or operational management roles.
Improved knowledge leads to improved skills. NEBOSH qualifications will help you to improve your leadership and interpersonal skills which are crucial to anyone within a health and safety role. This will allow you to influence and change behaviour by educating your colleagues to use better health and safety practices.
NEBOSH qualifications also look to improve your written communication skills allowing you to prepare reports and documents to report on the health and safety of your workplace. This is a skill that can be used outside of health and safety responsibilities too. Take a look at our post 'Why take a NEBOSH qualification' for more information!
Find the right NEBOSH course for you:
How to take your NEBOSH course
We offer flexible learning methods for all courses. So whether you're studying alone, or alongside other colleagues, you're sure to find a NEBOSH course to suit you.
Take your course online, at your own pace, with access to e-learning resources and tutors available via video call.
Virtual courses offer the best of online and classroom learning in the comfort of your own home.
We have centres throughout the UK, each offering health and safety training courses in classroom environments.
Our courses can be delivered on client premises and content can be tailored to your needs and requirements.
Reasons to take your NEBOSH course with Astutis.. the Astutis approach!
We’ve taken inspiration from a variety of educational approaches to put together courses that are truly engaging.
We support you to draw on and share your own experience and we can also offer you tips from our own experiences and insights from other groups. Where possible, we give you new, shared experiences in the tutorials that you can use to explore an issue or practise your skills. Here are a few unique highlights of our approach to your learning experience.
Our learner-centred approach allows you to be an active participant in your learning experience. On the course, we are interested to learn about your background, needs, and interests so that you take away relevant and meaningful outcomes. Your tutor will guide you through your virtual live classroom environment, including the opportunity to teach one another in your group through collaboration and personal interactions.
Collaborative and Interactive
There are a variety of ways for you to collaborate with other learners on our courses, including discussions through our LinkedIn community. Once you have completed your days learning, you will have the chance to think about questions in advance of the next day’s session and can talk to your tutor either on the tutorial or on a one-to-one basis.
Our courses work great for companies with multiple locations or who have employees who work off-site, as you will be able to access the courses and learning material on the go, from any device. Anyone with access to a laptop or computer and an internet connection can participate.
Because our training is more accessible, the course is more diverse. You may find the conversation is richer, more varied, and more effective than some discussions that take place between a group of people who interact with each other daily.
Recognition of NEBOSH courses
NEBOSH courses are recognised by companies, governments and professional membership bodies around the world. They're accepted for membership of:
- Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH)
- International Institute of Risk and Safety Management (IIRSM)
- Chartered Institution of Water and Environmental Management (CIWEM)
If your goal is to become a chartered health and safety professional, NEBOSH qualifications will help you get there. One route to CMIOSH status would be to achieve the entry level NEBOSH National General Certificate in Occupational Health & Safety followed by the NEBOSH Diploma in in Occupational Health & Safety coupled with industry experience.
Taking on a course is a big commitment of your time and money, so choosing the right NEBOSH course provider is crucial to make sure you get the most from your money and have access to a learning method that works for you. Things to look out for in a good NEBOSH course provider and questions to ask include:
- Status of the NEBOSH Learning Providers: are they Gold, Silver or Bronze? A Gold provider means they have exceeded the 6 learning excellence principles
- Trainer Qualifications and Experience: What is your tutor’s professional background? How long have they been accredited for? What is their average student pass rate?
- Flexibility: Ensure to check what kinds of NEBOSH teaching your provider offers. Do they offer online and offline training?
- Support Levels: What kind of support is your provider willing to give? How much access will you have to a tutor and study materials? What kind of study materials will they provide you with?
Make sure you research your course provider before committing so you are fully prepared and understand what kind of support you can expect to receive to avoid any nasty surprises! If you would like more information on what to look for in a NEBOSH provider, take a look at this post.
If you are interested in getting started with a NEBOSH qualification download our free NEBOSH Course Starter Guide now!
Providing you meet specific requirements, there are various funding options available for NEBOSH courses including:
- CITB Construction Skill Grant: available for CITB registered construction companies.
- ReAct Funding in Wales: available to those who have been made redundant in the last 3 months.
- Charity & Volutary Sectors: funding is available for small charities on a scholarship basis for the NEBOSH NGC qualification.
- Enhanced Learning Credits Administration Service (ELCAS): member and ex-members of the UK Armed forces can qualify for funding through the MOD’s Enhanced Learning Credits.
Take a look at our NEBOSH Funding blog for more information on the types of funding available and what is required to qualify for this funding.
There are many factors that can influence the cost of a NEBOSH course, so carrying out research prior to committing to a course will allow you to identify which option is going to be most cost effective for you. Things like the type of NEBOSH course you choose, the course duration and learning method can all impact how much you will pay for a course.
There are a number of additional costs you will need to consider when looking to take a NEBOSH course too, including exam fees (usually starting from £200 per exam), NEBOSH registration (£60), and in some cases exam support, webinars and study material. If you would like to find out more about the typical costs of a NEBOSH course take a look at our blog.
One of the most common questions someone will have about NEBOSH Courses is whether or not they expire. The short answer to that question, is no. Once you have successfully complete all units of a NEBOSH course, whether this be a General Certificate or Diploma level, you are not obliged to retake the course again.
However, health and safety is continually evolving and in reality, new legislation is introduced every couple of years meaning it is crucial to keep up to date and abreast of new legislation, regulations and ways of doing things.
For more information on NEBOSH course expiry take a look at this helpful article.
Every NEBOSH qualification has a number of associated exams or assessments to determine whether a learner has passed or failed. These consist of either a written exam or and Open-Book Exam, known as an OBE.
Exams and Assessments contain both short and long answer questions, and usually a work-based assignment to demonstrate the knowledge you have gained from your course in a practical way.
Unlike an invigilated paper-based examination, the OBE allows learners to sit their NEBOSH assessment in their own home or another safe and suitable location.
Paper-based exams are taken at a designated examination location on a specific date and are never carried out online, even if an online course has been chosen. The location and date of your exams will depend on your course provider but are usually held at specific times of year.
Pass marks for exams depend on the type of course you take. As an example, the NEBOSH General Certificate has a 45% pass mark for the NG1 exam and the practical assessment. You course provider will be able to provide you with pass mark information for your course before starting
Take a look at our blog post on NEBOSH exams for more
NEBOSH have a number of different qualifications available ranging from beginner (Award/Certificate) to advanced (Diploma). Some of the courses do recommend entry qualifications and/or experience; your course provider will be able to advise you to help you make the decision.
Award and Certificate level qualifications don’t require you to have any entry qualifications. However, NEBOSH do advise that previous experience of health and safety is strongly recommended in order to take the more advanced of the NEBOSH courses, the Diploma. In fact, we would advise taking the NEBOSH General Certificate before taking the Diploma.
For more information on NEBOSH entry requirements, take a look at this post.
NEBOSH courses can be extremely flexible. There are various ways to learn which you can choose from depending on your existing commitments, preferred learning method, location and required learning support. The ways to learn will naturally depend on what your course provider can offer.
- Virtual Classroom Leaning: Using the latest video conference software, we're able to bring you the same market-leading classroom training straight to your door - regardless of location. With the same tutor support and the same set schedule of live online training, its perfect for that structured approach.
- Online Learning: If you are in a position where you aren’t able to take time off work, or already have commitments meaning a 5 or so day course would be difficult, you can take NEBOSH courses online for a more flexible approach to learning. This allows you to work at your own pace in your own time and is ideal for those who are self-motivated learners.
- Classroom Learning: This is ideal if you prefer supported learning and would like regular contact with a tutor and other learners. It means you will need to travel to a specific location to learn and will have set learning times.
- Distance Learning: Distance learning offers an ideal solution if you are looking to complete an accredited health and safety qualification but are limited by budget or unable to commit to taking the time off work to attend a classroom course.
If you would like to know more about how to take your NEBOSH qualification, look at our post on Ways to Take a NEBOSH Qualification for more information.
NEBOSH courses take varying time to complete depending on the NEBOSH qualification you have decided to take and the learning method you have chosen.
For example, the NEBOSH National General Certificate typically takes around 80 – 120 hours of study to complete. The NEBOSH Diploma on the other hand usually takes around six to nine months to complete across 500 hours of study.
Currently, there are three types of NEBOSH qualifications available: Awards, Certificates and Diplomas, which will allow you to become qualified to different levels. Often, Awards and Certificates are the best entry level qualifications.
- Awards: This is often an introduction to other, higher levels of qualification and demonstrates a basic understanding of health and safety knowledge and helps improve health and safety culture within the workplace.
- General Certificate: The NEBOSH General Certificate demonstrates a slightly broader health and safety knowledge and is the most widely held health and safety qualification in the UK, making it incredibly sought after by employers. The NEBOSH General Certificate is ideal for those looking to develop a longer-term career in health and safety.
- Specialist Certificates: NEBOSH's industry specific certificates build on the core module from the NEBOSH General Certificate and are available in specialist areas such as fire, risk management, construction, oil and gas and the environment. They provide a more focused insight into health and safety management within the respective industry.
- Diplomas: Diploma level qualifications are one of the highest levels of NEBOSH qualifications that can be obtained and are the benchmark of a competent health and safety practitioner. Those who pass the NEBOSH Diploma can apply for Chartered Membership of the Institution of Occupational Safety & Health (CMIOSH) and Membership of the International Institute Risk & Safety Management (MIIRSM).
NEBOSH qualifications are considered a core skill for those within general management and health and safety roles, ranging from dedicated Health and Safety Officers to General Management and those who have had health and safety incorporated into their responsibilities. Typical job roles which require NEBOSH qualifications are:
- Health and Safety Officer
- Health and Safety Advisor
- Fire Safety Manager
- HR Manager
- General Manager
Primarily, the courses are suitable for anyone looking to develop health and safety skills and knowledge, improve job security and/or are looking to develop a career in health and safety. The type of qualification taken will be determined by how advanced you would like your knowledge to become.
Take a look at our post 'Who is NEBOSH for' to find out if NEBOSH is right for you.
NEBOSH (The National Examination Board in Occupational Safety and Health) offers a wide range of globally recognised qualifications for health and safety and environmental management needs. While NEBOSH don’t deliver the courses themselves, they are an examining board and create the syllabuses for the various NEBOSH qualifications to be delivered by a NEBOSH accredited provider of your choice.
Find out more about NEBOSH in our post 'Whahere is the NEBOSH National General Certificate recognised'
NEBOSH provides health and safety training providers with the syllabus and exams for a number of different NEBOSH training courses. Training providers (such as Astutis) are then able to provide health and safety training using online resources and classroom courses.