Airside Driving – Vehicle Safety at Work
In this blog we are going to look at the specialist area of Airside Driving and best practice. Safety compliance in airside driving is essential in avoiding dangerous and costly accidents.
Airside Driving has its own hazards, not least the movement of various forms of aircraft and speciality vehicles. In addition, contributory factors for hazards need to be considered and control strategies must be in place.
Hazards of Airside Driving
Hazards can include (but are not limited to):
- Collisions with vehicles and aircraft
- Collisions between airside vehicles
- Collisions between vehicles and pedestrians (both employees and non-employees e.g. passengers)
- Vehicles striking buildings and/or airside furniture such as barriers, fuelling hydrants, fixed power units etc.
Some of the contributory factors associated with these hazards (but not limited to) are:
- Poor weather conditions such as fog, rain, snow, ice, high winds
- Night operations
- Human factors such as the perceived pressure to get the job done i.e. to turn an aircraft around in time and also fatigue
To identify and control these hazards, an employer is required to consider the following areas:
- Risk assessment - on the significant driving tasks that are relevant to the airport the company is working at, as all airports have different layouts.
- Rules and procedures - e.g. safe systems of work covering the tasks undertaken
- Training - ensure drivers are fit and competent to operate airside
- Supervision – ensure drivers are following the company standards and airport rules with regular inspections and audits of driving standards.
Unlike the traditional workplace such as a warehouse yard, where the HSE guidance web pages are ideally placed to offer excellent advice to an employer, to assist in managing the hazards associated with Airside Driving, the UK’s Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) has issued specific guidelines - CAP 642 Airside Safety Management (Chapter 4 covers Airside Vehicle Operation and Driving) and CAP 790 Requirement for an Airside Driving Permit (ADP) Scheme.
IOSH’s Aviation and Aerospace Group (AAG) has developed a DVD entitled Safe Airside Driving which can be used as either a stand-alone refresher or as part of a formal Airside Driving course.
- Legal and regulatory requirements
- Vehicle safety, airside driving permits and training
- Airfield geography and layout
- Fitness, training and competency to drive
- Driving at night and in bad weather
Training for People Working in Aviation
For more information about IOSH Managing Safely in Aviation click the button below!
Related Blogs @Model.Properties.HeaderType>
What is Net Zero and How Do We Get There?Uncover the importance of Net Zero and discover how each us can achieve their own version of Net Zero. Find out this and more in the latest blog by Astutis Managing Director, Steve Terry.17.05.22
Discussing a strategic approach to the climate crisis: An introduction to the revolutionary IEMA Pathways to Net ZeroDiscover how a decarbonisation plan could radically improve the environmental impact of your business with the IEMA Pathways to Net Zero course.09.05.22
The Astutis Guide to Environmental Management JobsCurious about the career prosects in the environmental management sector? This blog will identify three amazing jobs that could be ideal for you!25.04.22
What is the IEMA Certificate for Environmental Management?Uncover everything you need to know regarding the IEMA Certificate in Environmental Management. Explore course topics, benefits of studying the course and course difficulty level in Astutis' blog here.11.04.22
Real Life Stories
Hear What Our Learners Have To Say
"The course was informative and well presented with plenty of interactive opportunity rather than just a power point presentaation with the tutor reading the pages to you like some training providers."Alan26.05.2022
"Thoroughly enjoyed the day."Alan26.05.2022
"Service within the speed of sound. Very helpful and recommend what is necessary. Knowledge is key. Treating you with the greatest respect and make you feel part of the family. I will recommend anyone, anytime"Pearl Fiona18.05.2022
"Very informative and tons of information available. Assisting when needed and value for the price. Loved the videos as you can relate it to your own workplace. What you learn, you can make the difference in your own workplace"Pearl Fiona18.05.2022
"Excellent service, very helpful weather it be via email or on the website chats, quick response!"18.05.2022
"The contents in the course is very detailed and knowledgeable, links to videos for more understanding per section is of great value especially for distance learning."18.05.2022
"Yes, definitely, and I will propose to other friends or colleagues who ever want or have this similar training service!"xie12.05.2022
"Nice and wonderful, best practice and choice"xie12.05.2022
"Service is very professional, quick response to queries at any time... Always here to help.. I see a good coordination between the team. Thanks. Keep it up"Jean Francois Stephan12.05.2022
"Course is well désigned and vert user friendly."Jean Francois Stephan12.05.2022