IOSH Safety for Executives & Directors Course Syllabus
The Safety for Executives and Directors course helps Directors and Senior Managers plan their organisational strategic objectives for health and safety risk management. It provides an understanding of the moral, legal and business case for proactive risk management and its integration into holistic business management systems.
Upon completion of the course, you will be able to:
- Understand the legal, moral and financial role of operational directors, owners of small businesses and senior executives.
- Integrate top-level safety management into wider business objectives to help minimise risk, reduce losses and make better use of time and resources.
- Develop and implement a safety and health policy.
- Recognise the benefits of good safety and health management systems, the consequences of failing to manage effectively, and how to ensure internal controls are working.
- Appreciate the positive impact and improvement that an organisation’s leaders can have on its performance through their attitude and support for improving its safety culture.
- Monitor and review performance for continual improvement in safety and health management.
IOSH Safety for Executives and Directors Course Syllabus
Module 1 – The moral, legal and financial case
- The moral, financial and reputational drivers of health and safety.
- Legal requirements including the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974, the Company Directors Disqualification Act 1986 and the Corporate Manslaughter and Corporate Homicide Act 2007.
- The costs of failure to the business and its reputation.
Module 2 – Plan
- Legal requirements of a health and safey policy
- Key elements of an effective health and safety policy and when it should be updated.
- Directors reponsibilities and resourcing.
Module 3 – Do
- Identifying and managing organisational risks.
- Emergency planning and the consequence of any emergencies that has been assessed.
- Consultation and worker engagement.
- The effect of communication by top management.
- The importance of providing high-quality training, and benefits of accessing and following professional advice.
- Developing standards for procuring goods and services to minimise risks.
- Managing contractors.
Module 4 – Check
- Methods of auditing and monitoring.
- Proactive and reactive data.
- Where to obtain information on external changes that may have an impact on the organisation.
Module 5 – Act
- Reviewing the effectiveness of a policy, identifying any shortcomings and addressing weaknesses.
- How to implement strong and visible leadership, and active commitment from top management.
- Organisational commitment to good corporate social responsibility.
- The requirements for good corporate governance and annual reporting.
- The importance of continuous improvement in line with organisational priorities Assessing learners.
Tailored packages to train all your senior executives
Astutis can tailor this course for delivery to your Directors, Executives and Senior Managers by incorporating your policy, procedures and organisational specifics we can deliver a course that is wholly relevant to your business that will deliver considerable cost savings.