Highlighting the Importance of Clean Air Day 2023
On June 15 2023, the U.K. will once again celebrate Clean Air Day.
Clean Air Day is quickly becoming one of the most important days on the awareness day calendar. It offers an extended platform to discuss the possibilities of cleaner air quality.
So let's understand the importance of the day itself.
Why is Clean Air Day Important?
Science tells us we are slowly killing our planet. The dramatic rise of industrialisation has contributed to anthropogenic (human-made) air pollution, resulting in approximately nine million deaths yearly. On a global level, air pollution is causing a dramatic decline in several ecosystems leading to animal extinction, the melting of ice caps and the increased temperature of planet Earth.
The long-term effects of air pollution have been, and will continue to be, discussed. We know that cardiovascular diseases, asthma and pulmonary insufficiency are all widely connected and caused by long-term exposure to air pollution.
On a broader level, we know that air pollution affects the water and food we drink. Road emissions are the biggest culprit, with long-term exposure creating respiratory problems. Furthermore, Industrial accidents have created a so-called 'toxic fog' that can be fatal to nearby populations. All in all, the impact is very bleak, indeed.
Having less polluted air would eradicate these issues.
What Can We Do This Clean Air Day?
The important thing is to make it count. In recent years the critical nature of the situation has become widespread. The years of inactivity have stopped, but humanity does not have time for regression.
This Clean Air Day, think about the people around you.
- Do you hold a position of influence over anyone?
- Could their position on the environment be moulded by your position?
- Do you voice the importance of environmentally friendly acts enough?
- Could you organise a voluntary event, such as a litter pick, that emphasises the importance of such events?
- Do you practice what you preach? I.E. If you voice the need for action, are you taking action yourself to improve things?
What Can I Do To Improve Air Quality?
There are always things we can be doing to improve the air quality in our local area. So let's highlight a few ways you can get started!
- Escalate your level of recycling and reusables and restrict your use of single-use plastics.
- Ensure all lights are switched off when not in use. Investigate whether lights in use could be turned off and swapped out with more environmentally friendly alternatives.
- Incorporate more public transport and reduce car or motorbike usage. You could consider swapping your current transport for an electric vehicle.
- Switch to a renewable energy supplier. After switching, users will save money month to month in the long run.
- Plant trees and improve air quality. You can go even further by turning your garden into a diverse melting pot that protects the habitat of oppressed wildlife.
- Support Clean Air legislation. Advocate for more from your locally elected representatives and demand proactive action to protect the environment.
- Reduce the amount of dairy and meat in your diet.
- Avoid any domestic burning in open fires or stoves.
- BLOG: Reduce or, if possible, eliminate your usage of single use plastics
- BLOG: An introduction to sustainability
- BLOG: How can you reach Net-Zero?
For additional information on how we could all be doing our bit for the environment, sign up for the Astutis newsletter! Not only will you get advice on ecological improvement, but you will receive important industry trends and exclusive discounts.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up for our newsletter.
At Astutis our passion for the environment runs deep and this Clean Air Day, we are thrilled to make a difference through our pledges towards cleaner air and the health of our planet! Discover more on our team's pledges below.
Real Life Stories
Hear What Our Learners Have To Say
"I felt a divine prompting to seek my Boss's recommendation when considering another learning partner, and she graciously suggested Astutis. Choosing Astutis turned out to be a decision without regrets. Even when I didn't pass the RA on my first attempt, the Director's response to my inquiries boosted my confidence to request a remark, which was facilitated at no extra cost thanks to the Director's advocacy. Astutis provided unwavering support throughout my journey, from inception to completion. I eagerly anticipate enrolling in additional courses and pursuing a diploma with them."Femi20.02.2024
"Nebosh need to be consistent with the marking, I felt the marking can be somehow subjective. Different marker graded same script differently. I failed the first time because someone(marker) didn't understand the guideline and the second marker did mentioned something different. Good study material and content."Femi20.02.2024
"Provided all necessary supporting documentation alongside the virtual training."Jodie20.02.2024
"I found the NG1 course particularly useful in understanding what was required for the exam."Jodie20.02.2024
"Good communication, helpful and friendly"06.02.2024
"Interesting and relevant."06.02.2024
"ASTUTIS has good customer care. They trustworthy and coordinative .They work as a team. A special thanks goes to madam Hilary for the great work rendered."Rogers06.02.2024
"I thought the course was so easy but I found it even tougher than IGC but interesting when you get used to it."Rogers06.02.2024
"Easy to deal with - course materials good"Rick06.02.2024
"10 days seems a long time for the syllabus Also the class sizes are quite large leading to logistical issues"Rick06.02.2024