NEBOSH Diploma Syllabus
The NEBOSH National Diploma for Occupational Health and Safety Professionals provides an in-depth look into health and safety legislation, hazardous agents, equipment, and workplace safety. It develops the skills and knowledge to become a competent health and safety practitioner.
The syllabus builds directly upon the knowledge and skills gained from the NEBOSH General Certificate.
Studying outside the UK? Take a look at the NEBOSH International Diploma course.
By the end of the course, you'll be able to:
- Source, develop, evaluate and interpret relevant health and safety information (such as legislation, guidance, best practice, procedures) and communicate it effectively to those who need it (both within your organisation and those affected by your organisation’s activities such as contractors and insurers).
- Promote a positive health and safety culture by
- gaining commitment and participation; and
- engaging, supporting, and influencing leaders (and others) to change attitudes and behaviour and make health and safety a priority.
- Assess, develop and maintain individual and organisational health and safety competence.
- Understand risk management, including the techniques for identifying hazards, the different types of risk assessment, considerations when implementing sensible and proportionate additional control measures, and developing a risk management strategy.
- Develop and implement proactive and reactive health and safety monitoring systems and carry out reviews and auditing of such systems.
- Continually develop your professional skills and ethics to actively influence improvements in health and safety by providing persuasive arguments to workers at all levels.
- Develop a health and safety policy strategy within your organisation (including proactive safety, Corporate Social Responsibility and the change management process).
- Contribute to health and safety legal actions.
- Manage contractors and supply chains to ensure compliance with health and safety standards.
- Advise the organisation on a range of common workplace health issues/ hazards, including how these can be assessed and controlled and the legal duties associated with these issues/hazards.
- Advise the organisation on a range of common workplace safety issues/ hazards, including how these can be assessed and controlled and the legal duties associated with these issues/hazards.
Full course syllabus
ND1: Workplace Health and Safety Principles
This unit provides an in-depth understanding of the key areas for managing health and safety. It covers moral, economic and societal drivers, health and safety law and management systems.
- 1.1 Health and safety regulations
- 1.2 Prosecutions
- 1.3 Enforcement
- 1.4 Civil law
- 1.5 Damages and liabilities
- 1.6 Occupiers liability
- 1.7 Lawful discrimination
- 1.8 Insurers
- 2.1 Organisational structures
- 2.2 Leadership
- 2.3 Consultation
- 2.4 Health and safety cultures
- 2.5 Traditional and proactive safety management
- 2.6 Risk perception
- 2.7 Human failures and factors
- 3.1 Competence, training, information and supervision
- 3.2 High-reliability organisations
- 4.1 Hazard identification and techniques
- 4.2 Managing health and safety risks
- 4.3 Risk management
- 5.1 Loss causation and quantitative analysis of data
- 5.2 Measuring and monitoring
- 6.1 Professional skills
- 7.1 Societal factors
- 7.2 Corporate social responsibility
- 7.3 Organisation changes
- 8.1 Civil proceedings
- 8.2 Coroners inquest
- 8.3 Criminal proceedings
- 8.4 Ethical issues
- 9.1 Contractors supply chains
ND2: Controlling Workplace Health Issues
Unit 2 gives an in-depth understanding of all major aspects of managing chemical, biological, physical and physiological hazards in the workplace.
- 10.1 Occupational health and safety services
- 10.2 Mental ill-health, wellbeing, workplace violence, lone working
- 10.3 Health surveillance
- 10.4 Hazardous substances
- 10.5 Health risks from hazardous substances
- 10.6 Epidemiology and toxicology
- 10.7 Asbestos
- 10.8 Ventilation and PPE
- 10.9 Hazardous substance monitoring
- 10.10 Biological agents
- 10.11 Noise
- 10.12 Vibration
- 10.13 Radiation
- 10.14 Musculoskeletal issues and manual handling
- 10.15 Workplace temperatures and welfare arrangements
ND3: Controlling Workplace Safety Issues
Unit 3 provides a thorough understanding of how to create a safe working environment It covers welfare, fire, dangerous substances, work equipment, electricity, construction and transport.
- 11.1 Safe working environment
- 11.2 Confined spaces
- 11.3 Fire and explosion
- 11.4 Fire
- 11.5 Dangerous substances
- 11.6 Work equipment and machinery maintenance
- 11.7 Work equipment
- 11.8 Machinery
- 11.9 Mobile work equipment and lifting equipment
- 11.10 Electricity
- 11.11 Construction, work at height, demolition, excavation
- 11.12 Workplace transport, work-related driving
NEBOSH Diploma Assessment
The NEBOSH Diploma is assessed entirely through practical activities and scenario-based questions.
Unit ND1 is assessed with a practical assignment split into four sections:
- Section 1: Scenario-based questions
- Section 2: Workplace activities
- Section 3: Reflective tasks
- Section 4: A short research project
NEBOSH recommends you spend around 60 hours on your ND1 assignment. You will have 6 weeks (30 working days) to complete your assignment and submit it electronically.
Units ND2 and ND3 are each assessed with a case study and scenario based questions. NEBOSH recommends you spend around 40 hours on each assessment paper. You will have 4 weeks (20 working days) to complete each assessment and submit it electronically.
NEBOSH Diploma Pass Marks
You must achieve a pass in all three units to achieve your full NEBOSH Diploma. Once you’ve passed all units, your marks will be added together and you’ll be awarded your final qualification grade.
- Pass 150-195 marks
- Credit 196-255 marks
- Distinction 226+ marks
Very supportive and friendly staff, along with excellent study materials .
Astutis staff is Supportive and very efficient. Their course layout is very easy to follow , and they offer prompt feedback and assistance with any questions you have to ask .Stephen Ramjewan - 22-07-2021
NEBOSH International General Certificate with exams - Online Course
Reasonably priced for the study materials and support offered .Stephen Ramjewan - 22-07-2021
sono molto soddisfatto, in futuro farò altri acquisti, ovviamente il sito è consigliabile.Trusted Customer - 14-07-2021
IOSH Managing Safely - Online Course
Ottimo corso. Di facile accessibilità.Trusted Customer - 14-07-2021
I love the ease of using there online learning programme
They offer detailed exceptional serviceTrusted Customer - 12-07-2021
NEBOSH General Certificate Online Course
The price is reasonable and the payment is straightfowardTrusted Customer - 12-07-2021