- NEBOSH National Diploma in Occupational Safety and Health
- BSc (Hons) Psychology (First Class)
- IEMA Certificate in Environmental Management
- City and Guilds Further and Adult Education Teaching Certificate
- BIOH P402 Asbestos Surveyor
- BSI Lead Auditor
- RSA Certificate of Professional Competence (Road Haulage)
- Fire Risk Assessor Competent Person
- Chartered Member of the Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (CMIOSH)
- Certified Member of the Association for Project Safety (CMAPS)
David is a health and safety consultant and tutor, having over 20 years experience in this field. He has expertise in general health and safety management, construction design and management, logistics operations, fire safety management, and cognitive psychology. His major training work includes the preparation and delivery of NEBOSH and IOSH accredited health and safety management courses, and a range of bespoke classroom and online courses.
Following initial military training, David was selected for and trained as specialist aircrew, working in a variety of fixed and rotary wing aircraft, for which, safety first was paramount. After gaining promotion, he then moved to road transport operations and eventually specialised as a Master Driver (Warrant Officer Class 1), being given responsibility for the training, testing and safety of a range of military and civilian drivers in both operational and non-operational units in the UK and abroad. This involved the carriage of dangerous goods, wheeled and tracked (plant) vehicle operations, and driver licensing in conjunction with the civil authorities. His major achievements during this time include the setting up and managing a traffic accident reduction programme, which saw a measured reduction of 12% from previous levels. David’s other duties during this time included the role of nuclear, biological and chemical warfare defence instructor, and a radiation protection supervisor for minor sources.
After a five-year short service commission as a logistics officer in the UK and Bosnia, David retired from military service, achieved the NEBOSH National Diploma and was admitted to the IOSH Register of Safety Practitioners. He then worked as a health and safety trainer/consultant, fire risk assessor and asbestos surveyor for the next five years.
In 2004, David became a Senior Health and Safety Consultant and has remained in this role since. He has taken specialist examinations in construction communication, health, fire, and asbestos management, and more recently, his professional interests have extended to include occupational psychology. He is presently undertaking a Masters Degree programme at Coventry University
Skills and Experience
David has experience across a variety of industries, including construction, manufacturing, transport, and public services, providing training and advice to many large companies including:
- St Gobain Europe: Senior Management Audit Tool, Risk assessment and accident investigation
- Rolls-Royce Civil Aerospace: Operational HSE Manager/Operational HSE Leadership
- RR Global Operations: PTW
- Lafarge Cement (Europe): Construction and Operational Managers Safety
- BOC: Advanced Incident Investigation, CDM
- DHL: Risk Assessment Facilitator
- Novartis: COSHH, DSE, Manual Handling, General Risk Assessment, Health and Safety for Managers, Health and Safety Awareness, PTW
- Coca Cola Enterprises: Managing Contractors, Managing/Supervising Work at Height
- Bespoke senior health and safety management training including Maersk Oil, Wolseley, Nuvia, Muller,
- Department for Work and Pensions, Siemens PG, etc
- Metropolitan Police: Officer safety instructor training
- St Leger Homes: Safety for Managers and CDM
- Northern: Accident investigation, passenger and station safety.
He has also worked internationally in several countries, delivering a range of accredited international IOSH/NEBOSH health and safety qualifications. These include:
- BP Exploration: Angola (NEBOSH International Diploma)
- Jotun Paint: Egypt / UAE (NEBOSH International Certificate)
- SPTS: Holland/Germany/France (IOSH Working Safely)
- Siemens: Sweden (IOSH Safety for Senior Executives)
- Eon: Germany/Holland (NEBOSH International Construction Certificate)
David has conducted manual handling, DSE, hazardous substances and fire risk assessments for many organisations, including the Clydesdale Bank Group, TEVA, Heinz, and Halifax BS. He is currently a NEBOSH Diploma Examiner for Unit B, and an internal assessor for the NEBOSH Construction and Fire Certificates. He is also the in-house lead consultant for CDM training and stress risk management auditing.