Develop your Health, Safety & Environmental Career
Develop your potential and broaden your skills
Plan your career and create opportunities by adding new qualifications & developing your CPD. Increase your knowledge and skills further with a course in any of the following areas or sectors with the courses:
- NEBOSH Certificate or NEBOSH Diploma to become chartered
- Fire safety
- Environmental management with IEMA Certificates
- Construction: NEBOSH Construction Certificate or Construction Design Management
- Oil & gas: NEBOSH Certificate in Oil & Gas
If you are unsure on the next best step why not contact our NEBOSH qualified course advisors and CMIOSH Health, Safety and Environmental Consultants to help you move forward with your career.
In the 'Enquiry' box on the form, add “What Next" or call 0345 241 3685 to speak with someone directly.
Stay informed with our e-newsletter and blog
Subscribe to our quarterly e-newsletters keeping you up to speed with industry developments, relevant training news from NEBOSH, IOSH, IEMA and Astutis updates. Astutis' blog is a forum for advice and sharing tips; click to read the Astutis blog.
Read our guest blog post by Health & Safety and Environmental Recruitment Agency Shirley Parsons with advice on Planning for your Future in Health and Safety and the Environment. Click to read.
Your continuing professional development (CPD)
CPD allows you to demonstrate to your employer and colleagues that:
- You’re constantly developing as a professional.
- You're committed to maintaining high standards.
- You're keeping up to date on health, safety and environmental legislation, best practice.
- You are developing a wide range of key skills relevant to your job & aspirations.
- If you plan to change roles, evidence that you are focusing on your professional development is fundamental.
Jobs and career development
Click Safety & Health Practictioner's website to read articles on jobs and career development in health & safety.
Health and safety jobs market
Recent research carried out on nationally advertised health and safety positions in February and March 2016 by NEBOSH as part of their annual jobs barometer revealed:
- 54% of job roles advertised required candidates to hold the NEBOSH Diploma.
- The average top end salary for those required to have a NEBOSH Diploma qualification was £50,000, over 16% higher than the £43,000 offered when a NEBOSH Diploma wasn’t specified.
- Only qualified candidates should apply for jobs in health & safety, with 93% of advertised roles asking for membership of the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH) and/or some form of NEBOSH qualification.
- 45% of vacancies called for NEBOSH Certificate level qualifications, up by 7% in 2015.
- Many of the health and safety management roles advertised also included responsibilities for environmental (39%) and quality (18%) management as revealed in the last few years of research.
Popular careers in Health & Safety include the following list, to find out more about the typical responsibilities, salary and skills/ qualifications click on the role:
How can I carry out CPD?
CPD can combine a range of approaches to learning including training, webinars, conferences, seminars, internal projects, voluntary work using professional skills to help you develop your abilities.
IOSH health & safety CPD
In order to maintain and enhance your level of membership with IOSH you must join the IOSH My CPD scheme based on self-allocated 'credits'. As well as health and safety knowledge, it also includes the development of personal qualities needed to carry out managerial and technical duties. For the membership categories click here
IOSH provides information on CPD, on creating a framework to identify your technical or personal skill gaps and then planning how to fill your skills’ gap and develop your knowledge. Click here for more on IOSH CPD. To enable you to complete your CPD, IOSH offers discussion forums, useful links & diverse health & safety events.
IOSH events regionally or by Sector
IOSH also runs numerous events UK-wide offering you expert insight and networking opportunities throughout the year. There are specialist groups if you have a specialist area of interest or work in a particular industry sector.
Institute of Environmental Management Association (IEMA) CPD
As a member of the (IEMA), you are encouraged to do CPD to improve your confidence and competence in the fast changing environmental arena. Visit the IEMA website to see how you can enhance your learning with access to events, webinars.