IOSH Managing Safely in Construction Syllabus
IOSH has launched a new course targeting site managers working in construction. It provides the essential knowledge for anyone who supervises the safety, health and environmental risks.
IOSH Managing Safely in Construction
This course is designed for managers and senior site staff who are required to manage efficiently and effectively in compliance with both the organisations’ safety policy and current health and safety legislation.
The course is split into 2 units - 1 taught module and a work-based assignment to complete which will demonstrate your application of the knowledge you have gained over the course of the previous unit.
Overall learning outcomes
On completion of each unit, learners should be able to demonstrate their understanding of the domain knowledge covered by:
- The application of knowledge to familiar and unfamiliar situations
- The critical analysis and evaluation of information presented in both quantitative and qualitative forms
N.B. Each element will have additional specific learning outcomes.
Full course syllabus
Module 1: Introducing Managing Safely in Construction
- What is meant by "health and safety"?
- Moral, legal and financial reasons for managing safety in the context of the construction industry.
- Manager’s accountability and responsibility for health and safety.
Module 2: Investigating Accidents and Incidents
- How do accidents and incidents happen?
- How to carry out an investigation
Module 3: Human Factors
- The organisational, job and individual factors that influence behaviour
- How does human failure contribute to the cause of accidents?
Module 4: Assessing Risk
- What is risk?
- The risk assessment process
- Specific cases for risk assessment
Module 5: Controlling Risks in Construction
- The legal framework for risk management
- Hierarchies of control
- Required levels of control
Module 6: Understanding the Manager's Responsibilities
- Health and safety law
- Enforcement of health and safety
- Health and safety management systems
Module 7: Identifying Construction Hazards
- What are the common construction hazards?
- What can you do about them?
Module 8: Measuring Performance
- What is performance management about?
- How do you measure health and safety performance?
- What is auditing?
Module 9: The Environment
- What is the impact of industry on the environment?
- How can you control pollution and waste?
- What are the main elements of an environmental management system?