IOSH Managing Safely Syllabus
IOSH Managing Safely is a basic risk management health and safety certificate for employees. It enables people who manage a team to meet their responsibilities for health and safety in the workplace.
The course is split into 2 units - 1 taught module and a work-based assignment to complete which will demonstrate your application of the knowledge you have gained over the course of the previous unit.
Overall learning outcomes
On completion of each unit, you should be able to demonstrate your understanding of the domain knowledge covered by:
- The application of knowledge to familiar and unfamiliar situations
- The critical analysis and evaluation of information presented in both quantitative and qualitative forms
N.B. Each element will have additional specific learning outcomes.
Full course syllabus
1: Introducing Managing Safely
- Why is it important to manage safely
- What are your responsibilities as a manager?
2: Investigating Accidents and Incidents
- How do accidents and incidents happen?
- How do you carry out an investigation
3: Human factors
- What are human factors?
- How does human failure contribute to the cause of accidents?
4: Assessing Risk
- What is risk?
- What is a risk assessment?
- How are risk assessments carried out?
5: Controlling Risk
- How do you reduce risk?
- How do you decide which risk control to use?
6: Understanding Managers Responsibilities
- What does the law require managers to do?
- How does the law work?
- What are the key parts of a health and safety management system?
7: Common hazards
- What are common hazards?
- What can you do about common hazards?
8: Measuring performance
- What's performance measurement about?
- How do you measure health and safety performance?
- What is auditing?
9: Protecting the Environment
- What is the impact of industry on the environment?
- How can you control pollution and waste?
- What are the main elements of an environmental management system?
IOSH Managing Safely course: futher information
Choosing to study for your certificate with Astutis means you can undertake the IOSH Managing Safely course in either of the following ways:
- Online whenever you want - with our guided multimedia-rich e-learning course
- In a classroom - structured learning with fellow professionals
- At your place of work, for multiple staff members
For more information on the course itself as well as these learning options, click on the button below:
Choose how to learn