IOSH Managing Safely Syllabus
IOSH Managing Safely is a basic risk management certificate in health and safety. It enables those who manage a team to meet their responsibilities for health and safety in the workplace.
The course is split into 2 units - 1 taught module and a work-based assignment which will demonstrate your application of the knowledge you have gained over the course of the previous unit.
On completion of the course, you will be able to:
- Understand your responsibilities for safety in the workplace.
- Recognise common workplace hazards and implement appropriate control measures.
- Estimate, evaluate and reduce risk by applying a hierarchy of risk control.
- Undertake structured risk assessments and accident investigations.
- Understand the requirements of HSE legislation.
- Recognise different ways to measure and improve health and safety performance.
- Reduce your organisation’s impact on the environment.
Full course syllabus
1. Introducing Managing Safely
- Understanding what is meant by “health and safety”
- The moral, legal and financial reasons to manage health and safety
- Managers responsibilities and accountability
2. Investigating Accidents and Incidents
- The difference between accidents and near miss
- Accident ratios/accident triangles
- Accident causation theories
- The reasons for investigating an accident
- Responding to an accident
- The investigation process
3. Human factors
- Organisation factors including safety culture and managers
- Job factors
- Individual factors; attitude, personality, abilities, training and development, motivation and perception of risk
- Human failure
4. Assessing Risk
- Sensible risk management
- The risk assessment process
- Specific cases for risk assessment
5. Controlling Risk
- The legal framework for Risk Management
- Hierarchies of control
- Required levels of control
- Safety Systems of Work (SSW) and Permits to Work (PTW)
- Emergency arrangements
6. Understanding Managers Responsibilities
- Health and safety law; civil, criminal and levels of legal duties
- Enforcement of health and safety
- Health and safety management systems; plan, do, check, act
7. Common hazards
- Access and Egress
- Aggression, bullying and violence
- Chemical and substances
- Confined spaces
- Drugs and alcohol
- Manual handling
- Slips, trips and falls
- Welfare facilities
- Work equipment and machinery
- Workplace transport
- Workplace temperature
- Work at height
8. Measuring performance
- Active and reactive monitoring systems
- Health and safety auditing
9. Protecting the Environment
- Business and the environment
- The purpose and benefits of business sustainability
- Environment management systems
There is a 45-minute written assessment, consisting of 25 questions in a variety of formats, and a standard project which comprises of a workplace risk assessment. The project must be completed within two weeks of the end of the course.
IOSH Managing Safely course: further information
Choosing to study for your certificate with Astutis means you can undertake the IOSH Managing Safely course in either of the following ways:
For more information on the course itself as well as these learning options, click on the button below: