About APM terminals
The Maersk Line office in Cotonou, Benin was established in 1991 by the Danish Group AP Moller Maersk to create a more effective and competitive link for Benin's exporters and importers and their worldwide clients and suppliers. The 14 May 1998 saw the arrival of Coman S.A., Maersk’s own dedicated terminal company that handles all stevedoring and port activities for Maersk Line.
In 2010, COMAN SA became independent from Maersk Benin and was transferred to APM Terminals, also member of the AP Moller Maersk Group. APM Terminals operates a Global Port, Terminal and Inland Services Network of 24,000 employees in 64 countries including interests in 63 ports and terminals and 155 Inland Services operations. Dedicated to setting the industry standards for efficiency, safety and sustainability, it is APM Terminal’s goal to earn the Customer every day, at every port facility and every location throughout the APM Terminals Global Port, Terminal and Inland Services Network.
IOSH Managing Safely e-learning
At APM Terminals Cotonou (COMAN S.A) as in all other APM Terminals, Safety is of paramount importance and is the number one goal. To support the implementation of the safety improvement plan at the Contonou terminal, it was decided that selected managers would undertake the IOSH Managing Safely course.
Astutis e-learning was chosen as the solution because:
- It is a considerably cheaper option than flying people overseas for training or bringing trainers to Contonou.
- Delegates can complete the course around current working shift/patterns.
- It is in line with the company focus zero fatalities/LTIs.
- Management can monitor progress of those who undergo the course via an on-line facility.
- Provided a fully managed solution from the initial issue of the delegate pass codes, through to the processing of the end of course assessments and issue of the IOSH certificates.
On completion of the training Karl Gnonlonfin, HSSE Manager at APM Terminals Cotonou reported:
‘The guys are doing great with the IOSH E-learning. I've got a lot of good feed-back from the trainees. Though the course contains a lot of information, it is easy to learn and study. It is working fine and easy to monitor. It is a very good basic training that all staff at a supervisory position and all HSSE staff should go through.
I would definitely recommend the IOSH e-learning.’